Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Night Out...

Just been so lazy lately...lazy to blog, lazy to study, just plain lazy. Haih...

Anyways, I got a message yesterday from Hansel. There's a farewell dinner for Janielle tonight in uptown. You wanna come? Of course I wanna come. She'll be migrating in 2 weeks and I won't see her again. But why all the way in uptown?

Enter a night in this life of mine:

Started off at Wangsa Maju lrt station quarter past six in the evening. Didn't wait long for the train and I was on my way. The time from Wangsa Maju to Kelana Jaya is exactly 42 minutes. I decided to take a chance this time by stopping at Taman Bahagia. Taman Bahagia is closer and apparently less crowded compared to Kelana Jaya. Of all the times to be wrong, I got hit with the big one. The road was jammed up pretty bad and thinking that there will always be a line of cabs waiting just showed me how off I was. Got in line with about 12 people in front of me and no taxis in sight. Time was leaking away. 7.30pm deadline grew closer and the hopeless chance of catching a cab was inevitable. Just ten minutes into the wait and I ditched the daring effort. So back to the original plan. When I reached Kelana Jaya and crossed the bridge, turns out there were a lot of people waiting for a cab too and I had to kill to get one...

No I didn't kill anyone to get a cab. But it was a really long wait and people were stealing my cabs! Aargh!!! A desperate idea came to my mind. So I called Daniel Teo. Unfortunately he just finished work and was gonna eat dinner there. At least that was worth a shot. After who knows how long, I finally got a taxi. The driver was a real good man. He already had a customer and was kind enough to take another. The first guy got dropped off at Centrepoint. Then I got dropped off at DU uptown. Thank You God for answering my prayers. By the time I got there, it was already almost 8. I had to walk and find the place some more. Everyone else thought I drove there. According to Hansel's message, the restaurant was near Starbucks. So I gave Daniel another call. He told me it was at a corner...

So I went there and not many restaurants were around. Surprisingly, Daniel, who lives down the road doesn't know an eating place called 'Izzi'. What an odd name to call a cafe but at the same time it's pretty unique. I went round and round the Starbucks, before that going to Dharoos and checking out the whole row, BOTH SIDES, then going back the way I came from where the cab dropped me. Turns out I got the wrong Starbucks, such great directions, huh? You see, uptown is a giant square. Shop houses surrounding towers in the middle. Essentially, I just took two long walks from one side to the other. After several calls to Hansel and a last effort to Renee, I was finally given a landmark. A tower called Uptown 2. I just had to find that building and I'll be right in front of them. Seems easy, right? Why don't you have a go? The buildings in the middle were all the same in architecture and had similar names. The first one I came across was 'Uptown 5'....-.-"

Skipping the words for that long walk from one corner of a giant square through two other corners, I finally found 'Uptown 2'. Even though this may seem small, I am grateful to God. It was no coincidence the cab driver took me in even with a customer already on board and did I mention that he charged me the same price as the first guy he dropped off even though mine was way longer. On the way, I bumped into Hansel. I was going the right way and he was going the wrong way. We met in the middle. Then I spotted the Starbucks, who in the world would place 2 Starbucks in the same area just 2 rows apart? Hansel spotted the place and we went in. It was already 8.30pm....

Fortunately, the rest haven't ordered yet and we got right in immediately. Some familiar faces flashed by as we walked down the table. 4 tables long. I was introduced to some very nice people. All from Sel#7's ER. Soon after, we got down to the food. I got on with a spaghetti carbonara. Wanted to take a picture but it was so good that I just dug in. Just imagine this. Fettucini layered nicely on a platter, covered with carbonara sauce and lots of cheese and beef, with a some kind of plant dressing. Anyways, the sauce was really rich and the cheese just stood out. The beef just went so well with the spaghetti. Coupled with bottomless iced lemon tea. Not to much description on the spaghetti so that you won't salivate over your keyboard. Speaking of iced lemon tea, my first bottomless went up to 9 refills. I don't know how it became a steady 4 now...

It went on with pizza. Pizzas all throughout the long table. Then there was camwhoring. Girls. Soon, the table split up into guys and girls. The guys with all the gadgetry and the girls with all the cameras. Who knew that you could get a 4 TERRABYTE hard drive for 800 bucks!?! Suddenly, Cmdr. Darren came out with this whacky idea. He suggested to buy a PS3 and his boys would work to buy a 50' plasma tv, so that they can play after Spirit Challenges. They were quite enthusiastic about it but I doubt it'll ever come. Nothing much after that. Talk, talk, take photo, take photo. By 10.45, we settled the bill, took a last group photo and went home. As usual, I took the lrt back to Wangsa Maju...

No comments: